LLB (Hons), University of Bristol, 2009;
Bar Vocational Course, BPP Professional Education, Law School, 2010;
Called to the Bar (Lincoln’s Inn), 2010;
Member of Sindh Bar Council and Karachi Bar Association;
Advocate, High Court of Sindh.
Draft pleadings, conduct research, develop strategies, and regularly appear in suits/petitions for: declaration; injunctions; recovery; damages; and summary procedure, on behalf of local and foreign entities. Assist the firm’s partner and Additional Attorney General for Pakistan with matters in litigation, on behalf of the Federation.
Issue opinions and advise on corporate and other civil and commercial matters and transactions, both domestic and trans-border, contentious and non-contentious, including: mergers and acquisitions; joint ventures; banking and finance; foreign exchange; debt and equity financing; tobacco, drugs, anti-corruption and labor laws; as well as regulatory and compliance advice, with an emphasis on securities and competition laws.
- Acting for CDC Group plc in relation to the recent joint venture for setting up a 50 MW wind power project;
- Acting as local legal counsel for Shanghai Electric Power Company Limited, in relation to the acquisition of K-Electric Limited, including due diligence and advising on, inter alia,the shareholding structure of the power utility company, NEPRA’s tariff renewal mechanism and Pakistan’s listing regulations;
- Advising the Hub Power Company Limited in relation to the recent joint venture agreement with China Power International Holding Limited to set up a coal-fired power plant, including drafting of project documentation;
- Acting for the sponsor shareholder and leading international petroleum company, in a major transaction involving the sale of its shares in one of Pakistan’s first hydro-skimming refineries, including preparation of agreements and advising on M&A and competition law matters;
- Acting for the International Finance Corporation in relation its equity investment in Bank Alfalah Limited;
- Acted as a part of a team, for a shareholder of a mobile telecom operator in relation to its proposed merger with another operator, including conducting due diligence, drafting the due diligence report and providing Pakistan law input into transaction documents;
- Acting for a leading international tobacco company for setting up its business in Pakistan, including drafting and advising on product and brand manufacturing and distribution agreements, as well as financing and security documents;
- Acted for International Power GDF Suez in various matters including, the sale of its shares in the KotAddu Power Company Limited and the termination of the operations and maintenance agreement between International Power Global Developments Limited and the Hub Power Company Limited;
- Advising various business entities of Credit Suisse in relation to matters pertaining to aspects of their business activities in or related to Pakistan;
- Advise Goldman Sachs Asia LLC on internal policies for managing self-funded currencies in Pakistan;
- Advised Caterpillar Inc. and SICPA Inks and Solutions in relation to public procurement laws in Pakistan;
- Advise the Civil Aviation Authority of Pakistan in relation to commercial matters including the procurement of processing services for national and international airports in Pakistan, and assist the partner of the firm with various litigation matters of the authority;
- Acting for and advising local and foreign banks and companies in relation to litigation and arbitration matters, including: Byco Petroleum Pakistan Limited and its associated companies and subsidiaries; and The Shell Petroleum Company Limited;
- Acting as local counsel for Pinsent Masons LLP, advising the China Machinery Engineering Corporation in relation to a joint venture with Engro Corporation to develop an open cast mining facility and coal-fired power plant, including advising on compliance with relevant competition laws.
- Acted as local counsel for:
- Herbert Smith Freehills LLP, advising Telstra International Limited in relation to a proposal to set up a network solution to provide IPVPN services in the SAARC countries;
- a leading international tobacco company in relation to its regulatory monitoring and response programme, including researching and preparing regulatory overview of tobacco laws in Pakistan, monitoring the development of such regulation and periodic reporting to the client;
- Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer, London in connection with research into and advice on global anti-corruption laws and regulations;
- Jones Day and Baker & McKenzie LLP to advise on local laws and regulatory/compliance matters in relation to marketing in the pharmaceutical industry; and employee stock option plans for GE and Chemonics International Inc.;
- Baker & McKenzie LLP, in connection with the global transfer and separation of the business of the Hewlett-Packard Company, including advising on and preparing documentation in relation to employment and real estate matters;
- Norton Rose Fulbright LLP, advising GE Capital regarding the legal framework for debt and equity financing in Pakistan.
- DLA Piper UK in relation to local labour and employment legislation.